In SEA, anything with Salted Egg Yolk won’t go wrong. Salted egg yolk squid, salted egg yolk pork cutlets, salted egg yolk crab… They are always so yummy! So naturally, having them in cookies would be oh-so-good too! And this is something I try to make every CNY! Although you don’t need CNY as an excuse to bake this! Hah!
The recipe shared by Baking Taitai requires only 4 types of ingredients and is fairly hassle free compared to previous recipe that I’ve tried before. And I love that the cookies crumbles easily in your mouth with the omph of the salted egg yolk. MMMMmmmmm!
Salted Egg Yolk Cookies
100g salted butter (I notice Golden Churn butter gives it a better flavor)
50 caster sugar
6 cooked salted egg yolks
200g cake flour
1 egg yolk
white sesame seeds
1. Steam salted egg yolk for 10 mins and mash till as fine as possible.
2. Sift flour. Set aside.
3. Cream softened butter and caster sugar till a small peak is formed.
4. Add in mashed salted egg yolk and mix till combined.
5. Mix in sifted flour till a soft and pliable dough is formed.
6. Divide dough into 10g each, roll into a ball and place on baking tray.
7. Apply egg wash and sprinkle white sesame seeds on the surface of the ball.
8. Bake in preheated oven at 170C for 10 min and then lower temperature to 150C to bake for another 15 min or until surface is golden brown.
(This temperature and time is suggested in the original recipe. I baked mine at 160C for 25 min or until golden brown and it comes out well too.)